ALVA-TECH Fire Barrier material is an intumescent elastomer formulated to protect surfaces and openings in three ways:
- On exposure to flame and heat, the material absorbs heat and begins to expand. At a relatively low temperature, 250ºF (121ºC), expansion and the resultant flexible foam starts sealing any existing openings as the temperature rises.
- The material forms an insulating barrier to retard the spreading of flames and control temperature increase.
- The material forms a refractory char as the temperature continues to rise, providing additional protection.
Typical Intumescent Properties
A 0.25″ x 1.5″ x 1.5″ Specimen heated for thirty (30) minutes:
|250ºF (121ºC)||1.5 Times|
|350ºF (177ºC)||2.8 Times|
|500ºF (260ºC)||4.0 Times|
- Poke-through Fittings
- Fire Door Seals
- Boxes & Enclosures
- Cable Wrap
ALVA-TECH Fire Barrier material is a coated elastomer and can be supplied in a wide variety of customized shapes and forms. Standard polyethylene coated sheets are 0.25″ x 24″ x 33″ and weigh approximately 10 pounds per sheet. Tapes in varying thickness’ and widths can be made available in addition to custom molded designs.
Alva-Tech Fire Barrier Properties
- Intumescence is activated at a low temperatures.
- Quick and complete sealing of opening by expansion with heat (intumescence) in all directions.
- Protection provided by formation of expanded char.
- Outstanding flexibility for easy handling and application.
- Easily cut to size and shape.
- Can be custom molded to many shapes and thickness’ to minimize waste and allow freedom in product design.
ALVA-TECH Fire Barrier Sheet FB 525 (vinyl or polyethylene coated) U.L. Recognized Component, Guide OEXX2, File No. R10488. See Underwriters Laboratories Inc. Recognized Component Directory.